Thursday, August 30, 2007

Summer Reading

One of the novels that I had read over summer vacation was Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin. At first I was hesitant about whether or not I should read the novel because I had heard it was a boring slow read. But I disagree with that very strongly. I actually really enjoyed reading Pride and Prejudice. Truly, I’m not quite sure why though. Because I have never been interested in the whole idea of a romance novel, but the conversations were very similar to ones that take place even in our time.

The inabilities to have a direct conversation with someone you truly care about matches perfectly with my life. It is always hard to have a heart-to-heart talk with someone if you are not sure on what they will say in return. This is so with Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet. Such as the time when Mr. Darcy appears at Mr. Collins’ house unannounced with Elizabeth is the only one home. He walks in the room with the intention of speaking to her, but he complements on how it is a lovely house and rather continuing with the conversation, he leaves to house as quick as possible. Elizabeth saying to Mrs. Gardiner, “Why is he so altered? From what can it proceed? It cannot be for me, it cannot be for my sake that his manners are thus softened. My reproofs at Hunsford could not work such a change as this. It is impossible that he should still love me.” Of course the dialogue is extremely different during the conversations, but the ideas and concept in which they are speaking are still valid.

Another thing that caught my attention is how it portrayed the classic saying of, “you always want what you cannot have.” Because all of the characters in the novel have some issue on why they should not be with the person that they love. Either their family does not approve, or the other, mainly the Bennet’s, does not posses as great of fortune, which would cause problematic views from the other high-class men and women. Also, one of the best characters in the book, that supports the previous quote, was Mrs. Bennet. She was a classic panicky mother of the five daughters that always insisted that the girls would marry anyone who offered their hand because it might no happen again. I believe that the real reason that she wanted them to accept was due to the fact that she wanted the girls to marry a very wealthy man instead of what she herself had done, and that she wanted to live through her daughter’s successes.

The reason that I liked this novel so much, was because of how identifiable the characters were. It is a very well written and scripted novel. It always left you wondering what would happen to the characters. It left you wanting more and more after each chapter went by.

(491)

2 comments:

LCC said...

Will,
One of the unfortunate things about Jane Austen's reputation is that she sometimes gets classified, especially among the young, as "chick lit." I couldn't disagree more, and I'm glad you could see past the marriage theme to understand why it is a strong and fascinating novel. As you rightly point out, it's about awkward relationships and it's about families, and we all have those, so there's something for us all in such a novel. Nicely said.
LCC

Jane Austen said...

My Dearest William,

Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding my most esteemed novel. I would love to meet you someday; since you identify so well with my other characters, perhaps you would delight in a part in my upcoming novel, Women and Hos, scheduled for release in 2012.

All my love,
Jane Austen